Friday, October 10, 2014

Wednesday Recap

It's Friday, I know. But I'm trying to keep the title of the recurring post consistent. Forgive me!

This week's practice brought big steps forward on spins, but no real progress on jumps. I took a hard fall on a 2lutz-2toe combo. Nailed the 2lutz and completed the 2toe, but was leaning so far over my right side on the landing that my foot just flew right out from under me and I landed smack on my hip. I'm fine, no bruises, but I haven't had a fall like that in years! The reverb on the fall rippled across my entire body. Had to take a second to regroup before I could keep going.

Since I got back into skating, I've been trying to learn all these new spin positions that have popped up that add points to your technical scores. I've gotten fairly decent at the broken leg, the hair-cutter and the flying back sit, so now I'm trying to put them all together in combination. I take a running start (where you cartwheel the leg as you turn) into a forward camel, go down into a broken leg (or a sit, still trying to figure out what works best for me) come up into a hair-cutter, and finish with a back flying sit. It's dizzying, but I'm getting better at it.

I'm also trying to up my rotations on the spins. Holding a position for eight rotations is really freaking hard, especially if the rotations don't count toward your score until you are definitively in the position. So you're actually spinning closer to 10 rotations before you have a chance to break out of it. And then my head is still spinning even when I stop!

I managed, with a little help from the boards, to film myself practicing a flying camel. It's a little off center, but you get the idea. (I only rotated 6 times for those counting.)





No comments:

Post a Comment