Monday, October 27, 2014

Skate America Recap: The Disco Club Bed Sheet Dress

The absolute best part about the televised coverage of Skate America was Johnny Weir's estimation of Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's competitive outfit, as a "disco club bedsheet dress." Spot on, Johnny, spot on.

Jokes at that poor girl's expense aside, it was harder to predict the outcome of the first Grand Prix event of the season, not having been familiar with many of the up and coming skaters. But I think I have a better handle on how the season will pan out based on the results.

Peruse the score sheets for each Skate America event here.

If you didn't catch my live-Tweeting of the NBC broadcast on Sunday, you can see it here.

Here's a quick summary of my feelings on the outcome.

Overall, it's important to note that it may seem like the Americans got a lot of medals and are so hot right now, but because it's Skate America, we got to enter three skaters/teams in each event, whereas other countries got at most, two. It's a host country thing. So we had strength in numbers to dilute the field. I have a feeling that once we lump all the skaters together at Worlds, we'll see them start to rank lower. Not that I'm not rooting for them though (go Team USA!).

Men
Speaking of Americans, I was actually super-duper impressed with both American men competing. They stand head and shoulders above the rest of the competitive field in terms of presentation and artistry. They really connect every movement in their programs. Everything is nuanced, intricate and expertly done. The technical bobbles leave a bit to be desired, and is what really keep them from securing gold.

Ladies
I have complicated feelings about this event. I think in the end, the top two skaters were right based solely on hard technical scores (number of jumps completed, quality of jumps etc), and I don't think anything was rigged. But no offense to Gracie Gold or Elena Radionova, who are both legit great skaters, but the last thing skating needs is another little blond waif to dub the "it girl." The ladies event needs, to put it in the immortal words of the great Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor, more power. I want to see women on that podium who are built more like gymnasts and swimmers than ballet dancers and stick figures. Women like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva or  Elene Gedevanishvili or Mae Berenice Meite, who in my humble opinion, got toally screwed over by the judges in the short program. That girl is getting continually screwed by the judges, now that I mention it.

Pairs



I gotta say, I completely forgot about Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov, because they had to sit out last year (and the Olympics, OUCH) due to an injury. But they're back, and they ran away with the gold. They whipped off a throw quad like it was nothing.

Their technical merit is so high, I don't think Olympic Champs Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov can catch them. They'll surely be the pair to beat. And did I mention, they're 32 and 30? Ancient in the skating world, yet kicking butt and taking names. And even though the American pairs did well, I continue to think them underwhelming.

Dance
I am thrilled an American dance pair other than Meryl/Charlie is taking the gold. It's good to know that new legacy may have taken hold. I don't know much about the rest of the dance field, so I'll have to study up before Skate Canada next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment