Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Big Show

Well, I skated in the show last night. And all I can say is...

NAILED IT.


It's not going to win an Olympic gold medal, but I stayed on my feet and enjoyed every second. So, nailed it. The music, in case you're wondering, is Shirley Bassey's version of "Big Spender." My synchro team skated to it two seasons ago when I was red-shirted w/ pregnancy. I was so bummed I didn't get to skate to it then, I made it my routine this time around.

I was super nervous going in, because it has been about 8 years since I performed solo on the ice in front of people. So nervous beforehand in fact, that when I was getting ready, I forgot I had a huge glob of of ivory foundation in my hand and slicked back my hair. So I had a big, chunky blond highlight in the back of my head. Not ideal, but at least it didn't get on my outfit.

Also, so nervous that I forgot to warm up my death drop and it ended up looking more like I was doing the dying giraffe during the routine. Maybe that should be my signature move?

But whatever it was I got it out of my system before the performance. It was a big boost that my family was in the crowd, and my little lady was sitting quietly watching (sitting still is not her thing right now). That and my coach was wearing a giant lady fat suit from performing in the group number that went before me. I told him he has to wear the fat suit every time I perform from now on...it really helped, seriously. I'll go into the role of sports psychology in figure skating in another post...One could write a novel about it.

What's next? A summer of practicing and perhaps another show in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment