Monday, June 16, 2014

When Ice Dreams Get Weird

Every now and again I have dreams about skating. Most of the dreams I have about the sport are of the stressful variety, wherein I'm supposed to be competing at a major event and I realize as I'm getting on the ice that I haven't practiced, like ever. Some of the dreams are revelatory in nature, in that I discover some new trick to perfecting say, a double axel (which, of course, doesn't work in waking life). And still others are the jolting kind, in which I'm dreaming about skating, and I fall, and wake with a start. Those are not my faves, but fortunately rarely happen.

The dream I had last night is a whole new type of skating-themed nocturnal vision. I dreamed I was in Lake Placid, seated in the far end of the 1932 Rink, watching Prince perform. I'm talking about Prince, the singer. But he wasn't singing, he was skating, and it was one of the LP summer Saturday night shows. And he was quite good. He performed a few numbers in this show, one of which was skated to "Little Red Corvette" and he was wearing gold lame boyshorts, which at a certain point were removed and thrown into the audience.

Needless to say, I woke up a little confused, and with Little Red Corvette in my head. I get the Lake Placid part of it, I was just there this weekend. But the Prince part is confounding. I haven't listened to Prince, nor made reference to him in a while. I'm guessing maybe I heard a snippit of Little Red Corvette before bedtime, it's possible...

At least this skating dream didn't stress me out! And now I know I would pay to see Price on ice...

No comments:

Post a Comment