Monday, June 2, 2014

Big Dreams for Big Rinks

As I've said a few times before, I grew up skating in a region where there were no less than five skating rinks within a 20 mile radius. I never actually did the measurements, but I may even be underestimating that figure. Finding ice time to train was never a problem.

Rinks are abundant in the United States, especially the Northeast. And apparently, they are about to get a lot more abundant, with green-light announcements left and right for the construction of multiple-rink mega-facilities like this proposed four-rink complex in Tampa, Florida.

And every skater in NYC is buzzing about the Kingsbridge National Ice Center, a privately funded ~750,000 square-foot complex which will have, count them, NINE rinks.

Funnily enough, even with an abundance the rinks and ice time up here, we usually still have to fight with hockey leagues for ice time. Imagine how much easier it would be to not have to do that when you have nine freaking rinks to choose from?

At the same time, does the world really need a nine-rink facility? Is it really the best use of space, especially in the Bronx? I don't know the answer to this, and I have no alternate suggestions. And I sincerely hope it serves the community well--it certainly looks like it will. I just know that rinks need a lot of upkeep to stay in good, safe condition for figure skaters.





No comments:

Post a Comment