Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Wednesday Recap

Well, there really isn't much to report about last night's practice, because it didn't actually happen. I drove to the rink all set to enjoy the confidence buzz that always follows a successful performance, only to find it shuttered and locked up tight. Don't know why, but I suspect the weather (flash floods all over the region) or a refrigeration malfunction complemented by gross humidity. The rink website said practice was on as usual, but I suspect they don't update their website much, if at all.

Alas, my first practice post-show will have to wait. In the meantime, I can dwell on some of the things about my skating that I noticed need work, based on the video of my performance. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Make movements bigger.
Much like stage acting (in contrast to film acting), projection is important on ice. Big, purposeful movements are essential, so that every last person in the stands (and more importantly, the judges) gets what you're trying to do. Otherwise, your performance looks flat, slow and uninspired. Not that I think my performance this weekend was all that bad, but I can definitely see parts of my presentation that can be "bigger." Longer extensions, bigger arms, bigger smiles!


2. Skate faster.
One of the comments my husband made about my performance (in addition to a slew of accolades, of course, honey!) was that it seemed like I was skating slower than usual. I don't think I was, but I can see how it might appear that way. It relates to my previous point about making movements bigger. When you're all alone out there on the ice and you're not projecting enough, your speed doesn't translate well. Even the best skaters in world competitions seem to be skating slower, and cameras tend to two-dimensionalize, which makes it worse. That said, everyone's skating can always benefit from a little more speed.

3. Jump higher.
While it feels like I'm jumping high, I'm not really jumping that high. If I want to start nailing triples again, I gotta seek more altitude. Supplemental strength training helps a lot with this, but sadly I'm low on free time. Gotta improvise...maybe I'll strap the baby to my back instead of pushing her in the stroller as I go about my daily business...


4. Spin longer.
Spins always feel way more spinny than they look. Like what feels like eight revolutions is only actually two. Gotta work on increasing revolutions and refining position. And need to seriously work on my flexibility.

Got my work cut out for me. Gonna be a busy summer on the ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment