Monday, June 23, 2014

Happy Olympic Day!

The Olympic Games, in its modern form, was born June 23, 1894. Therefore the IOC celebrates the Olympic spirit every June 23 with Olympic Day.

This year's theme is "Get Active," and its promotional video, which I'm prohibited from embedding here, shows famous Olympians like Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt and Lindsey Vonn doing sports other than those they are famous for.

That got me thinking, what sports would I pursue if I weren't a skater? I don't think one can call Pilates a sport, so that doesn't count. I did a brief stint as a power-lifter once, and dabbled in soccer and gymnastics as a kid. But I guess if someone told me to go out and try something new, I'd want to try tennis or skiing--two sports I've NEVER tried before. Weird, I know.

Anyway, Happy Olympic Day! I think we should all reflect on the fact that life is about more than justwinning gold medals.

No comments:

Post a Comment