Friday, June 27, 2014

Pregnancy and Athletics

When I read this story today about a runner who competed at track and field nationals in the 800M while 34 weeks pregnant, I literally shouted with joy. Who says you can't keep training and competing while pregnant? If your pregnancy is healthy and you feel good (and your doc says yes), why the heck not? My doctor said I could do anything, as long as I felt good.

The concern many doctors have is not that you'll injure the baby, but that you'll injure yourself. They don't want you twisting because you'll pull a muscle. Your body changes dramatically and you have to compensate your movements (and sleeping habits!).

I skated until the 9th month of pregnancy.  I wasn't doing double axels, or even really jumping at all mostly because I was ungainly and off balance. But I wanted to be on the ice. It helped me stay fit both mentally and physically. Skating is wonderful exercise, and I encourage all preggo skaters to at least get on the ice and do some stroking as often as you're comfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment