Thursday, May 8, 2014

#tbt Throwback Thursday

Once again, here are some of my fave throwback moments in the sport of figure skating.

This year marked 30 years since Scott Hamilton won gold in Sarajevo. Here's his winning long program:


It wasn't perfect (he popped a triple flip at the beginning), but it was enough to secure gold because of his performance in figures and in the original program. I've always been a huge fan of this guy and his positive attitude both on and off the ice. I also love the deliciously 80's synthesizer music he chose for his performance.

Also in U.S. Men, here is one of my all-time favorite skaters, in my second-favorite men's performance of all-time (a very close second to Brian Boitano's 1988 Olympic long program): Todd Eldredge, and his riveting 1996 World Championship-winning long program, skated to "First Night."


Dude NAILED it. And it's interesting to me to look back at skating in the 1990s and see the seeds of some of the trends that have caught on in skating these days--Todd Eldredge was always known for his good spinning technique, and he performed in 1996 some of the trendy modified positions that score high points in today's system.

Annnnd, more for laughs than anything else, here's me performing for the first time ever on the 1980 Rink (now the Herb Brooks Arena) in Lake Placid. I think I was 9 or 10, and it really was a thrill of a lifetime.



Ok who (of us adult skaters) still remembers the Freestyle 4 footwork sequence? I do! I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment