Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Signature Moves

I always wished I had coined a signature move. It's how the sport remembers you, oftentimes even more so than winning an Olympic gold medal. Swiss skater Denise Biellman never won the Olympics, but no skater can get through a practice without mentioning her name via her signature move at least once, if not trying it a few times. The Biellman spin (in all its rotational, blade-grabbing glory) is almost a mandatory element for higher-level competition, as adding it to combination spins jacks up the difficulty level and thus, point totals.

The reason I bring this up is a new social media campaign on Ice Network called, "It's Your Move." It's a fun interactive module that pairs two signature moves, and asks skating fans to vote for their favorite. The votes will be tallied to reveal the viewers' choice for the most iconic signature move in figure skating history. From the Hamill Camel to the Protopopov Death Spiral, there is plenty of competition...at least as far as I'm concerned (I love them all!).

I'm really curious which will triumph...#itsyourmove

No comments:

Post a Comment