Monday, June 1, 2015

Balancing Act

I recently came across an array of photos on HuffPo of prima ballerinas in San Francisco, that depict the life of those dancers who are also mothers. They're from a new book by photographer Lucy Gray, who specializes in depicting motherhood on film, called Balancing Acts: Three Prima Ballerinas Becoming Mothers.

It's not skating, but it's a similar idea - it's rare that you see women at the top of their sport (I'm counting ballet as a sport here) who are also mothers. The demands of being at the top of one's game often don't leave time for other aspects of life, namely having a family. It's possible, but it's not the choice many make because of the high degree of difficulty of the so-called "balancing act" it requires.

I can make this sweeping statement because even I react with some degree of incredulity when I hear about Olympians who are also moms, especially in figure skating. And in truth, my mouth fell open when I saw these photos. (I didn't know ballerinas had kids!) It's still a novelty in the public eye, therefore it must not be common and easily achievable.

Not everyone will choose parenthood, and that's 100 percent alright by me. But for those of us who do choose it, and namely those who have not yet taken the plunge, please know that having a baby doesn't have to spell the end of your athletic dreams.






No comments:

Post a Comment