Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Tossies FTW

wikimedia commons
The concept of a "tossie" is both old and new to me.

A tossie, for those who aren't familiar, is a small gift thrown on the ice following a skater's performance. Usually it is a stuffed animal of some sort, or flowers. I've seen it happen scores of times on television, at Worlds, Nationals and the Olympics. But until I was an adult, I'd never had anything thrown on the ice for me following a competition performance.

I think it may have been outlawed for most amateur events. It requires employing someone to "sweep" up the ice after performances, and holds the possibility of creating dangerous skating conditions if anything is left behind on the ice. But I think the generous spirit of adult competition precludes any of those concerns.

One time during my childhood skating days, I had the honor of volunteering to be a sweeper for a professional competition that came to the civic center my hometown. It was one of Dick Button's productions, if I remember correctly, back in the days when people actually watched those types of events on TV. I got to wear a special dress and pick up teddy bears for Dorothy Hamill, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Paul Wylie, Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo. It may seem silly to admit, but I can honestly say it remains, to this day, one of the highlights of my life. (I got to meet my heroes!)

It feels really good to be showered with accolades--it's such a simple gesture, but when a stranger throws a bag of candy with a sweet note of support of your skating, it is pretty empowering. Next year, I promise to come to adult competition prepared this time, and return the kind favor to other skaters!

The reason I am pontificating about tossies is that I read an article on NBCOlympic Talk about elite skaters' confessions about the weirdest things they ever received as tossies. Some of them are hilarious. And it is unsurprising to me that Elvis Stokjo received lingerie as a tossie once.


No comments:

Post a Comment