Monday, April 28, 2014

Off-Ice Training

It's easy to underestimate the importance of off-ice training. I certainly did. But it is really valuable to skaters of all ages, in all disciplines. As a young skater, I regret not taking off-ice more seriously. I think it would have done a lot to support my skating, and make it stronger than it was.

While I've learned from the error of my previous ways, my off-ice regimen these days still leaves much to be desired (the toddler's tiny tyrannical restrictions on my free time are to blame, but she's so cute I can't be mad). A little bit of Pilates, a little yoga, a little running - trying to train for the Freihofer's Run for Women - a little bit of strength training, and a little bit of...Easter egg-hunting.

Timesunion.com
I attended a "Grown Up Easter Egg Hunt" this past weekend and found myself throwing elbows and jockeying for position at a charity event. I'm a competitive person, what can I say? That's me leading the pack on the right, with the neon green, blue-spotted bag in the dark purple sweater and purple sneakers. I didn't get any of the prizes or booze, but I got a good workout.

Off-ice WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment