Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wednesday Training Recap

I was kept off the ice by nasty weather last week, so I started off this week at a bit of an endurance backlog. Making it through the program, even with single jumps, was a challenge, and disappointing after the progress I'd made two weeks ago by skating two days a week.

But I got through it. My coach made a great point as I bent over, huffing and puffing at the end of a particularly trying run-through. "It can't be worse than childbirth, right?" That is...true. #perspective

After another run-through, I launched immediately into two laps (a standard endurance-building tactic for competitive skaters). Halfway through the laps, I tripped on my toepick and went sprawling across the ice. For that, I earned two nasty bruises on my elbows. Here's one at right, lest you doubt my experience. And yes, it hurt. And it still hurts. But this elbow bruise is like an old friend to me. I can't remember a time during my skating career as a child when I didn't have an elbow bruise. I think it's time to dig out the 'ole elbow pads and see if they are still in decent shape...

And now here's a question. It has come to my attention that last year's version of the event I will compete in this March is likely available to watch on Icenetwork.com. And some of the competitors are women I will likely face this year. So, do I scout the competition?

This isn't like football. There are no real strategic advantages to watching the competition. In fact, I've always done better not watching, not scouting. It's not helpful to me, and it generally stresses me out because I begin to compare myself to others. However, I suppose it can be helpful to know what strengths of mine I should be playing up if I want to do well in competition. So I'm torn...

And for your viewing pleasure (or something to make you cringe), here's one of my attempts last night at a death drop combo spin.

A video posted by Jessica Marshall (@jess_on_ice) on

No comments:

Post a Comment