Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Little Helping Hand for Nationals

Remember that little skater who rocked the ice with her 'Whip My Hair' routine a few years back? She's even better now, and she qualified for Nationals!

I've been following her skating career via YouTube and IceNetwork - I like watching her performances because her skating is edgier than your average Novice Lady. Her personality shines through in her skating, and I think it sets her apart from a lot of the automatons I see in the mid-levels these days.

She recently won silver at Pacific Coast Sectionals, which means she earned a spot at Nationals next month. Her family set up a gofundme to help defray some of the expenses.

Skating is an expensive sport, and I'm sure everyone doing it could use a little financial help. I certainly can't give to everyone (gotta support my own skating addiction too, ya know). And I've written before about the reservations I have about crowd-funding figure skating careers. I still think it's a slippery slope.

But this time I can't help it. I pledged a small amount. Maybe it's because I identified with her last year when she just missed Nationals by one spot (me too, I know exactly what that feels like!!!). Maybe I'm hoping the good karma will give me a little boost this upcoming Adult season. And maybe it just makes me feel good to help someone, even in a small way.

Wishing her the best at Nationals! Here's her awesome short program from sectionals:

No comments:

Post a Comment