Friday, August 21, 2015

I thought they retired?

Apparently I haven't been as on top of figure skating news as I thought I was. Because I totally thought Mirai Nigasu and World Pair Champs Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford were planning to retire after last season. That couldn't be farther from the truth, I've recently learned. 

Duhamel and Radford are not only not retiring, they're planning to seriously up the ante by attempting the world's first throw quad lutz. That's bonkers. I can't wait to see them try it in competition. They are going to be unbeatable points-wise, if they can pull it off.

Mirai Nagasu is apparently working on her 3axel. See video here, via The Skating Lesson. It looks...alright. She's still under-rotated by about a half, but if she can get it by the time the competitive season starts (we're running out of summer...) she might get the little boost she needs to get back into medal contention.

I didn't think Adelina Sotnikova had retired,  but I almost forgot she existed until I saw the headline that she was returning. It will be interesting to see how she does this year, after taking off all of last year to nurse an injury. Frankly, I think she'll be crushed by Tuktamysheva and Radionova, but that's just one skater's opinion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment