Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Upcoming IOC Vote Could Change Things

IOC
The IOC is set to vote on 40 new changes for upcoming Olympic Games in December.

Among them, the proposal to add Synchro to the roster of figure skating events, which I wholeheartedly support!

Also among them, though unrelated to figure skating, is a proposal to include more mixed-gender events. This is fascinating to me, as I've always felt that some sports needlessly separate the genders. Sports like bobsleigh, which to its credit has just made the 4-man event gender neutral.

Synchro skating is already mixed gender. While you don't see a lot of dudes on teams, it does indeed happen (There is one on my old team, Gotham City Synchro!). While I don't think mixing the genders would work well for singles skating - there is too much of a disparity in the technical merit between Ladies and Men - why couldn't it work for pairs and dance? Why can't we have male or female teams rather than the strict male-female pairing? I don't know the answer, but I say it's worth a thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment