Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rest in Peace

As the world mourns the loss of actor/comedian Robin Williams (myself included), I found myself thinking of other famous people whose deaths really hit me in the gut. One of those deaths was that of pairs champion Sergei Grinkov, who I'd seen skate live a week before he died.

Another famous figure skater who passed away in 1994 escaped my "celebrity death list" (if you will), but really should be on it: 1976 Olympic Champion John Curry. I was born well after his heyday in the sport, and at the time of his death, was too young to comprehend it.

Today though, I read an article in The Guardian today about an author who just finished a book on Curry, who died of AIDS penniless and mostly forgotten. Learning about this skater's achievements, followed by the sad circumstances of his death, socked me in the gut as if it happened today.

John Curry left a huge mark on the sport of figure skating, whether we realize it or not. He essentially transformed men's figure skating from a boring, mechanical event into an art form. Spectators discovered that men could be as scintillating and artistic on the ice as the ladies! Here's his 1976 Olympic gold-winning long program in Innsbruck:



It's downright lyrical! He doesn't skip a beat, look winded or bobble. He spins in both directions on both feet. And he was twizzling long before it was cool. Unbelievable.

He was a difficult personality, according to those who knew him, and suffered from some sociopathic tendencies. But as is the case with Robin Williams, some folks with extraordinary talents do not see themselves as we do.

RIP Robin Williams and RIP John Curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment