Saturday, January 6, 2018

Team USA picks its ladies

The results are in, and here's what I think:

Bradie Tennell: I'm all for new blood on Team USA. Bring it, gurl. I remember watching her skate at nationals a few years ago and thinking that she had that same powerful technical consistency that the Russian skaters had. She is technically flawless, which is impressive, but she's not really inspiring artistically. I do love her choice of programs though. Her short program music is Korean, a nod to the Olympic host country; and her long program is from Cinderella, a nod to the Olympic dream being a wish her heart makes. I'm eager to see how she stacks up in Pyongchang and at Worlds.

Mirai Nagasu: I am so happy for her. To make the Olympic team like this four years after she was passed over, and 8 years after she was last considered competitive, she has been through the wringer and deserves all the things. The redemption is so so sweet. I am pleased to see that she threw in the triple axel at Nationals. I think it was a technical risk she needed to take to show the judges and the Olympic selection committee that she has balls of steel. Because she always gets dinged on underrotations, and she is susceptible to pressure, I don't think she has much chance of medaling at the Olympics or Worlds, but dammit does she ever deserve to be at both of those competitions.

Karen Chen: I'm fine with her inclusion on the Olympic and World team, though I don't have much confidence in her ability to keep it together through two programs at either of those events. She hasn't performed well internationally, and I don't think she stands much of a chance of doing any better this year. Yet, I do think she can bank more points than Ashley Wagner at this point. What I love about her though, is that when she's on, she's on. And choreographing your own programs (and doing it well) is the mark of a true bad-ass.

Ashley Wagner: I think leaving her out was the right call, but I am sad about it. The judges, both domestically and internationally, don't seem to love her skating right now. I think they have been a little too harsh on her lately, and I don't fault her for getting "furious" about it all. I scoffed at her intentions after Sochi to return for another Olympics. I didn't think she was good enough. But I changed my mind, especially after her 2016 season when she earned the silver at Worlds. So I'm sad to see that all go by the wayside. But she has had an impressive career and in my mind has nothing to prove.

Starr Andrews: I have long been a fan of this skater as she has risen through the ranks. At this point, while she has the technical points and had two undeniably great skates at Nationals, she still skates like a junior skater. She has some developing to do, but I'm excited that she has been given a chance to grow her style on an international stage with a bid to Four Continents and the World Junior Championships. Go Starr!

One final thought: I think we build up the Olympics to be something bigger and more worthy than it really is. True figure skating glory doesn't come from a competition that is held once every four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment