Monday, September 22, 2014

Weir & Lipinski Promoted to Primetime

It's official people, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski (and Terry Gannon) are now the official announcers/commentators for NBC's figure skating coverage.

I didn't dislike the previous team by any stretch, but I think WeirPinski (Weir-a?) will draw the viewers more these days. They've got that flashy, say/do-anything, reality TV style. Scott Hamilton is a class act in response (via the Trib), as I knew he would be:

"I was blessed to have that seat for seven Olympics," Hamilton, the 1984 Olympic champion, said in a text message.  "I always had the best interests of skating and the skaters at heart. I never wanted it to be about me, and I still don't. I wish them great success."

There's not much figure skating coverage on primetime TV though, so it may take a while for them to build steam and get more on the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment